- Corporate body
The Women’s Association (renamed the Parent’s Association in 1990) was founded in 1928 by Lady Edith Baillie in response to the support raised by parents in building the covered hockey arena. The first meeting of the Association was held in Powell’s House on May 23, 1929 with 10 members present. Lady Baillie envisioned and presided over an organization that provided materially, as well as encouraged and supported Appleby School (now College) in all its endeavours. The role of the Association has been “to take an active interest in the comfort and well-being of our students through co-operation with the Principal.” The first goal in the Association’s founding year was to raise funds to complete the school’s chapel. Membership is open to all parents and guardians of current students at Appleby College, along with Alumni Parents and Honorary Members. The Association has maintained an active tradition of volunteerism, which has brought tangible results within the school through supporting school related events and programs, as well as fundraising for the school. The Association is a member of Interguild, an association of similar organizations from independent schools around Ontario. Interguild is a resource for the Executive, allowing members to share ideas and discuss matters of common interest and concern.