- Corporate body
- 1938 -
The Fathers’ Association was founded on June 10th, 1938 at the University Club in Toronto. At the time, the Appleby School Old Boys Association (now Alumni), had a low membership due to both the school’s age and enrollment numbers, so creating a Fathers’ Association was suggested. It was formed as a way to stimulate Appleby fathers’ interest in the work and future of Appleby as an education system; to bring fathers into closer touch with the school life of their sons; and to ultimately assist the school in the enrollment of new students. Membership included all fathers of present or past students/graduates, who were automatically enrolled in the association. There was an annual fee of at least five dollars that, at one point, went towards the tuition of British boys during WWII. Funds raised also went towards new buildings, Christmas gifts, supplies, land, and bursaries for Canadian boys. In 1939, however, there were discussions about strengthening and building the co-operation between the Fathers Association and the Old Boys Association for future years. It is possible that in 1945, the year it is believed that the Fathers Association eventually dissolved, the Old Boys Association adopted similar responsibilities as a replacement.
The first executive of the Appleby School Father’s Association included:
Finance Committee—G.G. Leitch, J.H.C. Waite, B.P. Alley
Membership and new pupils—W.G. Wright, H.W. Weis, John McPherson, F.F. Wilson, A.N. Knowles, T.D. Switzer