Showing 532 results

Authority record

Wickens, Percival

  • Person
  • [19-] - 1937

In 1934, Percival Wickens was appointed Appleby’s second headmaster. Born in England, Wickens attended the University of London where he specialized in mathematics. During the Great War he served in the Royal Naval Air Squadron and was distinguished for his abilities and became a prominent flight instructor. He was frequently requested to pilot distinguished passengers such as Generals, Ministers, and Royalty across the
English Channel. Before his appointment to Appleby, Wickens was Assistant Master at St. Alban’s School in Brockville. In 1922, the growth of the School warranted the division of science and mathematics as distinct teaching roles which had previously been taught by Mr. Whittington. Thus, Wickens joined the staff of Appleby as mathematics teacher and soon became Housemaster of the New House (now Colley House) in 1923. In 1925, he succeeded the Rev. Mr. Blyth as Housemaster of Powell’s House.

Wickens is best remembered for approaching all activities with enthusiasm, dedication, strict discipline and electrifying power. Whether it was teaching cricket, dramatics, organizing Continental tours, or the Argus, everything was done with precision and efficiency; his personally motto was, “Whatsoever thy hand findeth to do, do it with thy might.”

Sadly, on June 14, 1937, Wickens lost his battle with cancer and passed away. Even though, Wickens’ service as headmaster lasted a mere three years, John Guest fondly commented in the 1938 Argus these words - “I know that as long as Appleby stands, it will be the greater and finer for all the work and love that he [Wickens] expendedupon it so nobly and ungrudgingly."

Walker, Wentworth Dillon

  • Person
  • 1917-2009

Wentworth Dillon “Wenty” Walker was born on June 23, 1917 in Toronto to Grace Edith Dillon and Ewart Buchan Walker son of Canadian Business and Arts Patron Sir Edmund Walker. Wentworth attended Appleby College from 1931 to 1935. While at Appleby, he was a member of the Dramatic Club, a librarian in Powell’s House, and was vice-captain of the Badminton team (1934 & 1935). Upon leaving, Wentworth gifted Appleby with a locomotive bell to use a school bell. Wentworth studied at the Toronto University specializing in mathematics and physics. During the Second World War, Wentworth served as a sergeant in the army and was discharged due to medical reasons. In 1942, he married Elisabeth Margaret Walker (nee Steel), and together they had two sons, Brian and Peter. Postwar, Wentworth worked as an auditor for the Shell Oil Company. Wentworth followed in his grandfather’s passion for cultural involvement and philanthropy. His affinity for the arts led him to an involvement with the Hart House Theatre, the Central Ontario Region of the Dominion Drama Festival, the Toronto Children Players, and the John Holden Players, where he performed stage managing and lighting duties. A long-time member of the Arts and Letters Club, Wentworth also championed the preservation of important landmarks and natural resources through the Architectural Conservancy of Ontario and the Federation of Ontario Naturalists. He also had a great interest in the Walker family history, particularly the life and time of Sir Edmund Walker, his grandfather. Wentworth Walker died on November 6, 2009.

Walker, Harold C.

  • Person
  • 1893 - 1969

Harold C. Walker was born in 1983 to Sir Byron Edmund and Mary Alexander Walker. He was the youngest of seven children. He married Kathleen I.L. Temple (1897 - 1983) and they had three children.

Harold C. Walker was appointed to the Appleby College Board of Governors on April 1, 1924 to fill the vacancy created by the death of Col. James George. This was the same board meeting that it was announced his father, Sir Edmund Walker had died. However, Harold was not appointed to the Board to replace his father. Harold C. Walker was appointed Chairman of the Board of Governors on December 21, 1926. He was in this role until his resignation on February 11, 1953 when Mr. C.L. Gundy was appointed Chairman and took the chair immediately.

Harold C. Walker died on March 23, 1969.

Walker, Gladys

  • Person
  • 1882 - 1971

Gladys Walker was born in 1882 to Sir Byron Edmund and Mary Alexander Walker. She was the fourth of seven children. She married John S. H. Guest (1874 - 1953) and they had four children: David G. "Dadie" born in 1908, John S. born in 1911, Elizabeth N "Betty" [Osler] born in 1914, and Katherine M "Kitty" [Stevens], born in 1917.

Walker, Edmund, Sir

  • Person
  • 1848 - 1924

Sir Byron Edmund Walker (1848 - 1924), Appleby's founder, was a prominent Canadian businessman and patron of the arts. A president of the Canadian Bank of Commerce and a Chairman of the Board and Chancellor of the University of Toronto, he was also instrumental in founding the Royal Ontario Museum and the National Gallery of Canada. He was an honorary president of the Toronto Mendelssohn Choir and a chairman of the Royal Conservatory of Music, as well as being a keen amateur palaeontologist, and the owner of one of the world's finest and largest collections of Japanese prints.

During the first decade of the 20th century, John Guest, the head of the prep school at Upper Canada College, dreamed of having a small school of his own in the country. He was fortunate in having married Gladys Walker, the daughter of Sir Edmund, and the young headmaster's father-in-law was in a position to make Guest's dream come true. Sir Edmund underwrote the purchase of the school's original 32 acres in Oakville and the construction of the earliest buildings; he became chairman of Appleby in 1917, when the school passed from his private ownership into the hands of the Corporation of Appleby School, and served until 1924.

He was married to Mary Alexander (1851 - 1923) and together they had seven children: Ethelwyn (1875 - 1966), Edmund M. (1877 - 1969), Ewart B. (1879 - 1953), Gladys Walker (1882-1971) - married John S. H. Guest, Dorothy I (1889 - 1875), Alfred A. (1891 - 1973), and Harold C. (1893 - 1969). Harold C. Walker would also serve on the Appleby College Board of Governors.

Sir Edmund Walker died on March 27, 1924.

Walker, Alastair

  • Person
  • 1902 - 1992

E. Alastair Walker was born April 1, 1902 in Toronto to Grace Edith Dillon and Ewart Buchan Walker son of Canadian Business and Arts Patron Sir Edmund Walker. Alastair attended Appleby College from 1916 to 1924. He was the nephew of Appleby Headmaster John Guest. While at Appleby, Alastair was Head Prefect (1923-1924), he played on the First Rugby and Cricket teams, which he was awarded Colours, and was a member of the Dramatic Club.

Alastair received his B.A. from University College, University of Toronto in 1928. After a brief period as a Wall Street 'Runner', he returned to his studies, receiving an Honours B.A. in English in 1931 and a M.A. in 1943 from Selwyn College, Cambridge. In 1932, Alastair joined the Appleby School staff teaching English and Matric until he enlisted in 1941. From 1941 to 1944 he lectured at the Ordnance School, Barriefield, emerging with the rank of Major in the Royal Canadian Ordnance Corps. In 1944 he joined the staff at Queen's University as an instructor in the English Department, where he remained until his retirement in 1972. Alastair Walker died November 19, 1992.

W. James photographer of Toronto

  • Corporate body
  • 1866 - 1948

William James came to Toronto in 1906 from England and from 1909 until his death was a photographer in and around Toronto. His son, Norman James was also a photographer with his father. Norman was also a photographer with The Toronto Daily Star newspaper.

W. Flint

  • Corporate body

Turofsky, Alexandra Studio of Toronto

  • Corporate body
  • 1911-1976

The Alexandra Studios was a Toronto, Ontario-based photographic studio.

The studio was started by Louis J. Turofsky in 1911 and occupied a number of Toronto locations until it ceased operations in 1976. The studio seems to have evolved through a number of name changes, including Alexandre Studios from 1915-1921, and then known as Alexandra Studios from 1922-1953. From 1954-1963 the business was known as Turofsky Photographers. In 1964 the firm again was known as Alexandra Studio, becoming the Alexander (or Alexandra) Studio-Turofsky from 1973 to 1974, after which it appeared to have the name of Alexander Studio.

Photographers employed by the studio included Louis J. Turofsky, Nathan Turofsky, Harold Crellin, and Roy P. Mitchell. It would appear that Louis and Nathan Turofsky no longer were involved with the studio after 1960, after which date Crellin and Mitchell ran the business. From 1973-1974 Crellin was President of the company, with Mitchell as Secretary-treasurer. From 1975 until the closing of the studio in 1976, Mitchell appears to have been the President of the company.

Troubetzkoy, Alexis S.

  • Person
  • 1981-1987

Alexis Troubetzkoy was Appleby’s fifth headmaster. Appointed to the post in 1981, he came to Oakville from Selwyn House School in Montreal, where he had been headmaster for ten years. Ironically, he had gone to Selwyn House from Appleby in 1971: he had originally joined our staff in 1968.

A Canadian citizen, Troubetzkoy was born in Paris, France, and educated at the Kent School in Connecticut. He holds a Bachelor’s degree from Sir George Williams University, and a Diploma in Education from Bishop’s University. Before joining Appleby he taught at Stanstead College, Bishop’s College School, and St. Stephen’s School in Rome.

Troubetzkoy said his mission was to “let Appleby become a beacon from which other schools could take their bearings.” In order to achieve his aims, he addressed several issues: among them were refining the academic program; bolstering the extracurricular offerings, especially in the arts; and, in his words, bringing Appleby “into the mainstream of Canadian education, in the sense of … having it play a more prominent role in independent education.”

A significant initiative was his decision to make Appleby a ‘fast-track’ school, where students would graduate in four years. Current principal Guy McLean gave Troubetzkoy credit for overcoming the many obstacles to success and ensuring the smooth implementation of the four-year program, which marked a major change in the school’s culture. Our ‘double cohort’ class (about 60% of which comprised four-year students) graduated in 1987, 16 years in advance of the double cohort from Ontario’s public high schools.

The Nicholas Arts Centre (the art and music building opened in 1985) is the most visible sign of Troubetzkoy’s success. Providing this facility, and instituting an ‘extracurricular credit’ requirement in the Appleby College Diploma, marked a new attitude toward the arts.

In terms of raising Appleby’s profile, he promoted student exchanges with schools on the West Coast, in England and in Europe, particularly through the English Speaking Union and the Appleby-in-France program; and under his leadership, Appleby become a member of the National Association of Independent Schools in the United States and the Headmasters’ Conference in Britain.

Alexis Troubetzkoy resigned in 1987 to take on the leadership of the Toronto French School.

He passed away in February 2017.

Tom Bochsler of Hamilton, Ont.

  • Corporate body
  • 1956-2006

Tom Bochsler is a well-known industrial photographer who has spent more than five decades as a professional photographer. He was the official photographer for McMaster University, CHCH-TV, CHML radio and other local businesses. He also was a portrait photographer. His specialty, however, is industrial photography, and he has won many awards for his work in this field. He recently donated more than 500,000 negatives and images, spanning the length of his career, to Hamilton Public Library. This now stands as the largest Canadian collection of images from an individual photographer in Local History & Archives.

Results 1 to 100 of 532